Opening /proc/<pid>/net/dev prevents network namespace from expiring

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Aug 24 12:53:51 EDT 2020

On 8/22/20 3:05 PM, Arne Welzel wrote:
> Hello,

Hi,

> as an unprivileged user one is able to keep network namespaces from
> expiring by opening /proc/<pid>/net/dev of other processes.

This is what I would expect.

At least based on my understanding of how the various namespaces work.
If something is using the namespace, it's not removed.  Opening a file /
device therein would count as using it.

> Does that seem like problematic behavior?

No, not as such.

This seems to me like a permissions issue on the /proc/<pid> directory.

Read:  Set the permissions such that access is restricted appropriately.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die