Generating Log of Guest Physical Addresses from a Kernel Function and Perform Analysis at Runtime

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Sep 24 07:16:38 EDT 2019

On Tue, 24 Sep 2019 19:10:59 +0900, Sahibzada Irfanullah said:

> My actual goal is to generate log of physical addresses for different
> applications by writing them into the file, and then perform some analysis

What makes you think that the log of physical addresses will tell you anything
useful or interesting?

Hint:  Pretty much all physical pages usable for process space are identical as far
as the kernel is concerned, and if a virtual or disk cache page is pulled into memory
from disk more than once, the same virtual page can end up in different physical
pages.each time.

> at runtime in this function by reading the logs from the log file.
> Furthermore, I want a file which size can dynamically grow as the size of
> log increases.

Are you trying to do this *at runtime in real time*, or is post-run analysis OK?