how to get kernel crashdump

Muni Sekhar munisekharrms at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 09:55:45 EDT 2019

Hi All,

I’m having a Linux system, I’m seeing it gets hung during certain
tests. When it hung, it does not even respond for SYSRQ button, only
way to recover is power-button-only. No response for SYSRQ button
means kernel crashed?

After reboot I looked at the kern.log and most of the times it has
“^@^@^@^ ...“ line just before reboot. Can someone clarify me what the
kernel log entry “^@^@^@^ ...“ means? I suspect kernel is crashed, but
it does give any crashdump in kern.log.

Later I enabled the kernel crash dump(sudo apt install
linux-crashdump) and rerun the test but still nothing copied to the
disk(/var/crash/). I don’t have onboard serial port in my machine, so
I tried get the crash dump via netconsole, but this method also does
not able to catch the crash dump.

Can someone help me how to debug in this scenario?
And I'd like to know what other options available to get the crash dump?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

--
Thanks,
Sekhar