Kernel Panic

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Oct 16 10:16:42 EDT 2019

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 07:34:01 -0000, Christophe DUMONT said:

> What made me think about a memory leak is the message : Java Not Tainted 3.10.0-1062.1.1.el7.x86_64.=20

That just tells you that the currently executing process was java.

It says nothing at all about a memory leak, and as I already mentioned, if Java
was leaking memory, it would almost certainly have been leaking memory on a
previous kernel.

The important part almost always isn't the running process, it's the kernel
stack traceback, which in this case has 'futex' scribbled *all* over it.

General rule of thumb:

If you get more than one crash that has a similar traceback that points at a
specific syscall, or file system driver, etc, the bug is almost guaranteed to
be in that code.

If you get a rash of crashes with *different* tracebacks, you probably have
some other code that's overlaying memory.