Do I need strong mathematical bases to work in the memory subsystem?

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Thu Oct 3 03:00:58 EDT 2019

On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 11:42:04PM -0400, Ruben Safir wrote:
> On 10/2/19 11:35 PM, Valdis Klētnieks wrote:
> >> If you hope to do anything that is not elementry, you need serious math
> >> for the algorithms, not to mention to complete the jobs being done.
> >>
> >> Knowing math is the real key to unlocking to potential of the power of
> >> computational mathmatics.
> >
> > If you're doing that sort of mathematics *inside the kernel*, there's probably something
> > wrong with your overall design.
> >

> Maybe, but I don't think so.  And the hardware is getting more exotic.

"more complex" does not mean "needs more math.  Look at the new USB4
spec, and the patches posted to start adding support for that to the
kernel.  No "math" in there at all other than very simple stuff.

And no one can say that USB for is not "serious", so I agree with
Vladis, a deep mathmatical background is not needed for almost all of
the kernel.  It's just simple C code, nothing to be afraid of.

greg k-h