Just started w/Linux Kernel (Beginner)

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Nov 24 19:32:43 EST 2019

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019 11:58:24 +0000, Benjamin Selormey said:
> Hello,
>
> I’m a newbie with Linux kernel and I l want to contribute in security research of  the Linux Kernel.

A newbie? Go and read https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2017-April/017765.html
and Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst in your git tree.

You *do* have a git tree of some appropriate kernel, right? If not, fix that deficiency. :)

> I am interested in memory management and devices communication with the kernel. Does anyone have a starter project in mind I can start with?

Hmm.  Security and memory management? The obvious place to start is to go and
look at all the since-patched cases of vma splits and merges abused for
exploits. Google for 'vma bug linux'.  Read, understand, and look for other
similar issues. Note that you'll probably need to understand in sufficient
depth that you can write at least a PoC (proof of concept) exploit that
demonstrates the problem.

Note that you may have trouble finding anything, most of the obvious cases got
pointed out by Solar Designer and Brad Spengler a decade or more ago.