How to generate Fixes: <commit> ("<text>") things

Nicholas Mc Guire der.herr at hofr.at
Thu May 9 06:38:01 EDT 2019

On Thu, May 09, 2019 at 06:28:39PM +0800, wuzhouhui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Stupid question, maybe. But I just could find the answer vi Bing or Google.
>
> How to generate
>     Fixes: <commit> ("<text>")
> E.g.
>     Fixes: 298a32b13208 ("kmemleak: powerpc: skip scanning holes in the .bss section")
>
> Or they just write it manually?

starting with documentation in th kernel might be better than
google or bing

<snip Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst>
   The following git config settings can be used to add a pretty format
   for outputting the above style in the git log or git show commands:
[core]
        abbrev = 12
[pretty]
        fixes = Fixes: %h (\"%s\")
<snip>

or on the commandline you can simply use

git log -1 --pretty=format:"Fixes: %h (\"%s\")" SHA

thx!
hofrat