[IMX] [DRM]: suspend/resume support

Valdis Kl=?utf-8?Q?=c4=93?=tnieks valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Jun 19 12:26:47 EDT 2019

On Wed, 19 Jun 2019 20:47:34 +0530, Pintu Agarwal said:

> No I mean to say, there are lots of features and customization already
> done on this version and stabilized.
> Upgrading again may require months of effort.

This is what happens when you don't upstream your local changes.

And no, saying "But we're a small company and nobody cares" isn't an
excuse - Linux carried the entire Voyager architecture around for several years
for 2 machines. Not two models, 2 physical machines, the last 2 operational
systems of the product line.

(Not the Xubuntu-based Voyage distribution either - the Voyager was a mid-80s
SMP fault-tolerant system from NCR with up to 32 486/586 cores and 4G of
memory, which was a honking big system for the day...)

https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/rzhang/linux/+/v2.6.20-rc1/Documentation/voyager.txt

The architecture was finally dropped in 2009 when enough hardware failures
had happened that James Bottomley was unable to create a bootable
system from the parts from both...

So if your production run is several thousand systems, that's *plenty* big
enough for patches and drivers (especially since drivers for hardware you
included in your several-thousand system run are also likely applicable to
a half dozen other vendors who made several thousand systems using the
same chipset....