Pause a process execution from external program

Elias Kouskoumvekakis eliaskousk at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 11:21:50 EDT 2019

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 10:45 AM Pintu Agarwal <pintu.ping at gmail.com> wrote:

> For some reason, I want to halt/pause the execution (for some
> specified time) of a running process/thread (at some location),
> without modified the source, may be by firing some events/signals from
> an another external program, by specifying the address location or a
> line number.
>
> Is this possible ?

Hi Pintu,

have you looked at the CRIU project which can do a checkpoint / restore of
a running process?

https://criu.org/Main_Page

I think it's what you need, although I've never used it myself.

Some other projects and how they compare to CRIU are listed below:

https://criu.org/Comparison_to_other_CR_projects

Best,
Elias