Guide to building the Linux kernel tools update

Rob Coulson (bcoulson) bcoulson at cisco.com
Wed Jul 10 19:09:40 EDT 2019

Good afternoon,

I recently had to reconstruct my Linux Kernel Ubuntu VM development environment and went through this wiki as a quick reference: https://kernelnewbies.org/KernelBuild

Specifically, the ‘What tools do I need?’ Ubuntu section: while all of the tools listed installed correctly, there seems to be some missing tools that are required for completing a linux-5.2.y kernel build: flex, bison, and libelf-dev tools.

bison, flex: the defconfig failed w/o these pkgs.
libelf-dev: kernel make failed w/o this pkg.

Since I do not have the privilege to update this wiki page, would someone on this list please do so?

Cheers,

RobC.