CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG

Muni Sekhar munisekharrms at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 13:24:27 EDT 2019

Hi All,

My Kernel is built with the following options:

CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR=y

CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG=y

We use out-of-tree kernel modules in our project and I need to measure the
performance of it by using a bit older gcc version 4.8.5.

I can build the modules with gcc above 5 version, but when I try to use gcc
version 4.8.5 I’m getting the following error:

Makefile:693: Cannot use CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG:
-fstack-protector-strong not supported by compiler

So it looks like gcc 4.8.5 does not support CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG
option, but how to instruct gcc to ignore this one?

In runtime, is it possible to instruct kernel to ignore
“CONFIG_CC_STACKPROTECTOR_STRONG=y” (without building the kernel) by using
sysctl or any other method?

Any help is appreciated.

--
Thanks,