Best practice to upgrade kernel

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Fri Apr 26 16:11:15 EDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 26, 2019 at 11:17:24AM -0700, Xiaolong Wang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a newbie question. I’m using a 3.18.66 kernel branch from Qualcomm. Over the year I’ve applied some of patched here and there manually.
>
> But It seems Qualcomm does not patch lot of newly released vulnerabilities. I would love to upgrade to the latest 3.18.138 (not 4.x)
>
> What is the best practice here?

Merge your branch with the android-common 3.18 branch, and try to run
that.  Note, there will be some conflicts, and I think there's a random
qualcomm branch somewhere on code aurora somewhere that has those
problems resolved if you have problems with them.

good luck, it's possible to do (I have a phone running the latest 3.18
release on it with a qcom chipset), but it all depends on exactly what
device you have as to how easy/hard it is going to be!

greg k-h