Questions about my idea (for gsoc)

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Apr 1 13:16:27 EDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 01, 2019 at 06:19:12PM +0200, Andrea Laisa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm a student that want to do a google summer of code with you during this
> summer.

Who is "you" here?  What project specifically are you looking to apply
to that asked you to post on the kernelnewbies list?

> My idea is to write a Linux driver for a proprietary network protocol used
> by the outdoor Gemtek antennas(which are essentially a LTE modem) to
> communicate over ethernet+LLC to the indoor Gemtek Access Points. My goal is
> to allow anyone to use any Linux-based router (like a Turris Omnia/openwrt)
> instead of a Gemtek Access Point.
>
> I think it's a great idea but I have some questions.
>
>     -In which area my idea is located? networking?
>     -Should the idea implemented as Linux driver or as userspace program?

Step back and answer these questions:
  - do you have documentation for how this protocol works?
  - do you have access to hardware where you could test these kernel
    changes?

If you don't have that, then this might not be the best project to work
on :(

thanks,

greg k-h