da9063 - Reboot issue : koops rcu_note_context_switch

Köry Maincent kory.maincent at navocap.com
Mon Apr 1 05:39:33 EDT 2019

More readable with quote character sorry for the duplicate.

Hi Hariprasad,

> Hi Kory Maincent.
>
> On Tue, 26 Mar 2019 at 13:21, Köry Maincent <kory.maincent at navocap.com
> <mailto:kory.maincent at navocap.com>> wrote:
>
> >    Hello,
> >
> >    I got a kernel warning on the reboot of my embedded board, and
> >    sometimes I got stuck in the reboot.
> >    I work on the IMX6Q with a PMIC da9063 and the last kernel release.
> >
> >    It happens in the /da9063_wdt_restart/ function at the
> >    /regmap_write/ call in the CONTROL_F register.
> >    (drivers/watchdog/da9063_wdt.c)
>

>  From trace we are able figure out the flow,
>
> reboot
> |

> invokes system call(sys_reboot)
> |

>   watchdog_restart)notifier
> |

> da9063_wdt_restart
> |

> It sending I2c rear/write commands.
>
> Is this expected behaviour  ??

Yes it is.

> If I access to other register in that function, I don't have this issue.
> The reason could be ,you are accessing other registers directly not
> through I2C.
I was wrong on this point, because of bad order debug printing in the
drivers.

I manage to avoid the issue with a hotfix : adding rcu_read_unlock();
before I2C writing in the da9063_wdt_restart function. There is no more
koops warning neither freezing reboot.
I don't think it is a clean patch and I don't understand the relation to
preemption.
It may happens because of an RCU critical section not closed?

Regards Kory.