Problem with netconsole and eth0 timing

don fisher hdf3 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 27 18:16:14 EDT 2018

On 9/27/18 12:01 AM, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 21:38:27 -0700, don fisher said:
>
>> Thanks. I tried building with the driver embedded in the kernel, but the
>> compile failed with a halt. No crash is apparent, just a halt. It turned
>> out that this was repeated until I removed the netconsole command during
>> boot. System appears stable now. I will try tomorrow to embed the
>> driver, then add netconsole option in the command line.
>
> Wait, what?  The *compile* "failed with a halt"?  What the heck does that mean?

Don't know what it means. The compile just happened to be what I was
execution. The system just stopped with no output to screen, dmesg or
journal. With trial an error I discovered that if I eliminated the
netconsole command from the grub2 linux command line, the system
appeared stable again. I put that netconsole command in
/etc/default/grub, so it is sort of a pain to insert and remove it.

Don