deferred pages

Cindy-Sue Causey butterflybytes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 20 10:16:41 EST 2018

On 11/1/18, Mulyadi Santosa <mulyadi.santosa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 1:51 AM Damian Tometzki <linux_dti at icloud.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On So, 28. Okt 17:33, Damian Tometzki wrote:
>> Hello together,
>>
>> can anyone me short explain what is deferred page(s) ?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Best regards
>> Damian
>>

> Hm, did you mean delayed/lazy paging?
> --
> regards,
>
> Mulyadi Santosa
> Freelance Linux trainer and consultant

Hi.. I just stumbled back upon this while cleaning out my inbox this
morning. There's not much mention, under 1,000 possibilities come
back, during a search for "deferred paging" in quotation marks.

These two sources sound like they might fit the question:

#1) Paging Spaces by Tom Farwell; April 2003; IBM Systems Magazine
NOTE: Appears to potentially be a popup window that search engine
perceived as a regular webpage

http://ibmsystemsmag.com/CMSTemplates/IBMSystemsMag/Print.aspx?path=/aix/administrator/systemsmanagement/Paging-Spaces-(1)

First reference is near the top under "AIX 4.3.2+ Deferred Paging
Space". This is a quick quote that sounds like it might trigger an
ah-ha moment for some: "[...] Deferred Page Space Allocation (DPSA)
policy. DPSA delays allocating paging space slots until it's necessary
to page out the frame to paging space."

"DPSA delays allocating" sounds like it falls under your
"delayed/lazy" reference. :)

And......

#2) AIX 5L Differences Guide Version 5.3 Edition
By Scott Vetter, Adrian Demeter, Shiv Dutta, Armin Röll, SeongLul Son,
IBM Redbooks

https://books.google.com/books?id=Vrq6AgAAQBAJ&pg=PA180&lpg=PA180&dq=%22deferred+paging%22&source=bl&ots=drDJODUGBq&sig=JXjFdkrGb9ioZFauAoUcRgq7MgM&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwih5umfjuPeAhVyx1kKHdU4DSUQ6AEwA3oECAYQAQ#v=onepage&q=%22deferred%20paging%22&f=false

Keywords that help this sound appropriate are "AIX paging space
allocation policy and management" within a section titled... "Paging
space garbage collection". That provided an explanation that was
fairly *cognitively friendly* for me, a user who has never touched on
this concept in her own computing petri dish. Well done @ the
author(s). :)

Posting for the archives. Hope it helps someone someday. :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* I comment, therefore I am... procrastinating elsewhere. Indubitably. *