searching for a missing driver

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Wed May 23 02:05:21 EDT 2018

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 10:25:51PM -0400, Hugo Lefeuvre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been reading documentation about linux drivers development for
> quite a while now, but never did anything really useful of it. Lack of
> time, but most importantly lack of projects to apply this knowledge.
> Now I've got some spare time ahead of me, and it seems to be the
> right moment to start a kernel driver project.
>
> ... but I don't know exactly what kind of device driver I want to
> write, and what kind of device I want to work on.

It's best to find a device you care about, that does not work on Linux,
to do something like this, as you are going to be working on it for a
while.

But the problem is, as you are finding out, that almost everything
already "just works" in Linux.  Turns out Linux supports more hardware
than any other operating system, sorry :)

Try digging around in shops that sell "odd hardware", that might be the
best way to find something like this.

good luck!

greg k-h