kernel image path

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue May 8 15:24:32 EDT 2018

On Wed, 09 May 2018 00:37:42 +0530, Sumit Kumar said:
> Thanks Valdis. I checked /lib/modules directory. It had a lot of
> subdirectories - one for each kernel build I guess, each one around 4GB.
> I have removed some of the older one's with "rm" cmd. I hope it doesn't
> break grub.

Grub doesn't care, it only cares that the bzImage/vmlinuz and (if needed)
initramfs that you listed in the grub config file are there. (Actually, it
doesn't actually *check* until you try to boot a kernel and it can't find
them there, at which point it will tell you...)

The kernel you boot will care if one of the directories you nuked from
/lib/modules was for the version of the kernel you booted.  In other words,
if you did an rm -r /lib/modules/4.19.9-rc12  you may as well toss any
4.19.9-rc12 files in /boot and the Grub menu.

However, the initramfs *should* have included any modules needed to get
your root filesystem mounted, so even if you removed the directory for a
given 'uname -r', you should still be able to boot single-user.