A question about function split_mem_range

Hao Lee haolee.swjtu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 10:32:42 EDT 2018

Hi,

I'm currently reading the memory management source code and get stuck
on a function.

In arch/x86/mm/init.c, there is a function called split_mem_range[0].
Its logic is very complicated and I can't figure out what it does. I
have added some debug statements in this function to print all
variable, but I still can't understand it. I have also searched it on
Google and couldn't find any helpful articles. Could someone give me
some help about what on earth this function does? Many thanks!

[0] https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/bcfc1f4554662d8f2429ac8bd96064a59c149754/arch/x86/mm/init.c#L325

Regards,
Hao Lee