probe gets called without i2c device

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Mar 23 10:59:37 EDT 2018

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018 19:07:41 +0530, MUHAMMED ASAD P T said:
> We have the device tree information and wrote in the board. In this device
> tree, we specify our I2c device details.

So you told the kernel the device is there.

> In usual, if the device is there, then driver probe gets called. This is the proper scenario.

So the kernel acts like it's there.

> But if the device is not there, then i2c master controller will not get the
> Ack from slave device. Still driver probe gets called without device
>  connected (In device tree, device node is there for slave device).

Why is the slave listed if it isn't actually present and wired up?

> How the driver probe gets called?? This is the problem for us.

Maybe if you don't want the driver called if the device isn't there, you
shouldn't lie to the kernel and write a device tree entry that says it *is*
there.

Just a thought...