Why do some config options return limited info from a search?

John Whitmore arigead at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 20:08:10 EDT 2018

I'm trying to build the required options for my Laptop into the kernel, so not modules. When you search, in make menuconfig, for a config option you usually get very useful info about where it is, in the menus, and what its prompt is. This makes them easier to find.

Sometimes however you get a module which don't give this information. Is this intentional, signify something, or just an oversight for that config option? For example SND_HDA_CORE:

Symbol: SND_HDA_CORE [=m]
  Type  : tristate
  Defined at sound/hda/Kconfig:1
  Depends on: SOUND [=y] && !UML && SND [=y]
  Selects: REGMAP [=y]
  Selected by:
    - SND_HDA_EXT_CORE [=m] && SOUND [=y] && !UML && SND [=y]
    - SND_HDA [=m] && SOUND [=y] && !UML && SND [=y]