Driver as built-in instead of module

MUHAMMED ASAD P T muhammed.asadpt at iqroottech.com
Fri Mar 16 07:18:52 EDT 2018

Hi,

Please check the answers in below email as inline.

Thanks & Regards

- Asad

  IQ Root Technologies

---- On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 13:51:00 +0530 Greg KH <greg at kroah.com> wrote ----

On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 01:23:38PM +0530, MUHAMMED ASAD P T wrote:

> Hi,

> We need to add the driver as 'built in' in kernel. We had changed in kernel configuration for our custom driver. But, when the kernel is booted up, it is not calling the driver. what are the necessary steps to do this built-in to Kernel?

You just built it into the kernel image.

To start with, how are you building your kernel image? Is your driver

build "separate"? If so, that will not work as the kernel image has to

be built at the same time as your driver for that to work.

[Reply] I am building the driver with kernel build time. not separate.

Do you have a pointer to the source of your driver anywhere to see if it

even can be built into the kernel?

  [Reply] For module, we use module_init(), I am looking for the kernel functions  for built-in driver. As a module, driver probe() gets called.

  When driver configured as built-in, then module_init() is not called, i.e. print in module_init() is not coming.

thanks,

greg k-h

Kernelnewbies at kernelnewbies.org