Guidelines for Submitting an RFC PATCH

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Mar 13 14:35:58 EDT 2018

On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 08:52:01AM -0700, Joe Smith wrote:
> By conformant I mean for example that it has to compile or if the
> patch consists of a series of patches each patch applied individually
> should compile. That is a lot of work for something that is just being
> presented to ask for an opinion.

If you want other people to do work for you in reviewing code, you need
to make it as easy as possible for them to do that.  By showing that you
put in as little effort as necessary, that indicates to me that I should
put in little, if no, effort as well.  How do I know you are going to
then later on do the correct thing?  If not, that means my limited time
that I gave to you was wasted.

If you show that you care enough to do the job correctly, then I know
you are more invested in doing the right thing and so, I too will put in
the effort.

And really, this goes for almost everything in life, not just boring
kernel patches :)

good luck!

greg k-h