Year 2038 time set problem

Alex Arvelaez ealejandro at outlook.com
Sun Mar 4 15:47:15 EST 2018

On Mar 4, 2018 3:21 PM, Ruben Safir <ruben at mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

> On 03/04/2018 01:31 PM, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > Note that saying "The CPU isn't vulnerable to Meltdown/Spectre, therefor
> > the 4.1 kernel is OK" is *incredibly* wrong.
> >
> > For the record, since 4.1 came out, there's been at *least* a dozen security
> > issues in the Linux kernel that have been a *lot* scarier for security
> > professionals than the Meltdown/Spectre issue.  That only got any news coverage
> > because it was an actual hardware design flaw that was believed to be difficult
> > to easily fix with software changes...
>
> By this standard, it is necessary to update the kernel and reboot nearly
> every week.  Is that right?

You can kexec into the newer kernel to avoid rebooting if you absolutely must but yeah the best practice is to keep your system up to date and that requires some disruption of service.

There's also kernel live patching which would allow you to patch the kernel without rebooting but I don't know how well supported that option is.