How kernel derive irq number for particular irq line

priyaranjan priyaranjan45678 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 05:03:25 EDT 2018

Hi Abhinav,

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 12:17 AM, Abhinav Misra
<abhitheextremeeng at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I want to know how the irq number is derived in linux kernel.
> In kernel we are using below function for registering ISR.

For platform drivers, usually this information comes from the device tree entry.
which you get originally from the System On chip HW interface documents or
from specification sheets.

> int request_threaded_irq(unsigned int irq, irq_handler_t handler,
> irq_handler_t thread_fn, unsigned long irqflags, const char *devname, void
> *dev_id)
>
> 1st arg is irq number. Now suppose for an i2c device, want to configure an
> interrupt then we can enable interrupt by configuring the particular
> register
> but from where we will get the irq number details.

In kernel drivers, DT entries of that driver are read
by some APIs and then used by request_irq