Main Linux kernel vs Ubuntu kernel

Subhashini Rao Beerisetty subhashbeerisetty at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 07:47:45 EDT 2018

My question related to backward compatibility is: If an API’s signature
changed from kernel version x.y.z onwards, does the mainline tree code uses
the below mentioned logic?

#if LINUX_VERSION_CODE >= KERNEL_VERSION(x,y,z)

#else

#endif

Regarding long term release kernels, what here ‘long term’ means? For e.g.
v4.4 is part of long term release kernel released in 2016-01-10 and it’s
projected EOL is Feb, 2022, here what’s the meaning of EOL?

How to backport the bug fixes for older kernel tree (for e.g. v4.4) and
what is the selection criteria for choosing which bug fixes should go for
backporting?

Thanks,