Linux kernel mailing list filtering issues

Alexander Kapshuk alexander.kapshuk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 09:19:15 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 3:43 PM <hal at halemmerich.com> wrote:

> On 2018-07-19 23:55, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 19, 2018 at 10:25 PM <hal at halemmerich.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all, I've been trying to post a bug report to the linux-usb mailing
> >> list but keep getting trapped in the filters despite ensuring I'm
> >> using
> >> plaintext.
> >> Heres what I get in the bounce back:
> >>
> >>                     The mail system
> >>
> >> <linux-usb at vger.kernel.org>: host vger.kernel.org[209.132.180.67]
> >> said:
> >> 550
> >>      5.7.1 Content-Policy accept-into-freezer-1 msg: Bayes Statistical
> >>      Bogofilter considers this message SPAM.  BF:<S 1>  In case you
> >> disagree,
> >>      send the ENTIRE message plus this error message to
> >> <postmaster at vger.kernel.org> ;
> >>
> >> I've sent the message to the postmaster but haven't heard anything. My
> >> message got through to the maintainer, who has requested I fix my
> >> message and get it on the mailing list proper but nothing I've tried
> >> is
> >> working.
> >>
> >> Heres part of the header from the source of my most recent message:

> >> Any suggestions? Thanks

> > What email client did you use to send in your patch?
>
> I used thuderbird to post to the list. My issue seemed to be not having
> the usb: dwc2: tags in the subject line, and my subject being too long.
> Both apparently heavily weight the filter towards treating the message
> as spam. I also removed anything in the debug information that resembled
> a url or email address, which didn't help immediately but might have
> helped weight  it towards not spam after I did the above things. It
> might be a good idea to have a list of suggestions like these on the
> wiki.

You will find kernel documentation [1] on preferred email clients and
formats of interest.
Among other things, the advise on the format of email messages is:
Don't send patches with ``format=flowed``.  This can cause unexpected
and unwanted line breaks.

My personal preference is the use of 'git send-email'. I've also found
mutt to be compliant with the guidelines laid out in the reference
doc.
Hope this helps.

[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/plain/Documentation/process/email-clients.rst?h=v4.17.8