Need Suggestions

Cindy-Sue Causey butterflybytes at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 13:31:34 EDT 2018

On 7/14/18, ozgur at goosey.org <ozgur at goosey.org> wrote:
> 14.07.2018, 20:07, "Athul Joy" <aathuljjoy333 at gmail.com>:
>>
>> Dear friends, I am new to the Linux kernel development.
>> Can anyone help me how to start my journey in order to build my own
>> kernel?
>

> Hello,
>
> if you want to build a your own kernel then the best way is to be use
> Google. Perhaps you can find thousands of kernel build documents and you can
> ask here if you have an build errors.
>
> So, it's very simple and I share for short information, the kernel is
> written in C code and all code is open source and all C based code can be
> compiled using the appropriated compiler. GCC is good compilers.
>
> Which distro you use?
>
> Downloaded to latest stable kernel to /usr/src directory.
> Un-compressed the linux kernel.
> Copy default .config file to directory.
>
> cp /boot/config-`uname -r`* .config
>
> Note: You may need to ncurses library.
>
> Run make menuconfig and check kernel parameters.
>
> Run make -j 4 and make modules and make modules_install and make install
> command.
>
> Please check to /boot directory:
>
> vmlinuz - this is a kernel
> System.map - this is a kernel symbols file
> initramfs - initrd image
> Config - Kernel config file
>
> Please read: https://kernelnewbies.org/KernelBuild

I (also) learned about "Linux From Scratch" (LFS) from KernelNewbies:

https://kernelnewbies.org/RelatedSites

I've been playing with computers since ~1994, but I have degenerating
cognitive issues that keep me functioning as a perpetual, capable
newbie. Linux From Scratch is written in such a way that I've been
able to follow along those times I've... remembered to stop and play
with it. I thank its author(s) for that! :)

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *