Regarding Signing Linux kernel with Microsoft secure boot keys for UEFI

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Jul 8 13:50:05 EDT 2018

On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 11:21:08 +0530, inventsekar said:

> I read this page few times but I am unable to understand what's Linus's
> idea..Why he disagree ...
> whether the Linux kernel should include code that makes it easier to boot
> Linux on Windows PCs.

The issue is "trusted boot", and it doesn't actually make it easier to boot Linux.

The problem is that the obvious way to implement it for a distro requires an
intermediate key signed by Microsoft.

In other words, you can't do it easily without Microsoft's permission. Although
pretty much all UEFI boxes that support secure boot allow installing trusted
private keys, it's not something you can do in the middle of an Ubuntu install -
it requires dropping down into the BIOS screens and setting a bunch of stuff.

So the only way to do it in a distro-friendly manner without involving
Microsoft is to have the Linux Foundation or similar non-distro entity create a
public/private key pair, and somebody gets *all* the vendors to include that
key as well as Mirosoft's key.  Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, And all the others.
Because any vendor that doesn't include it will get reports on the web "Trusted
boot of Linux on Zen-Cheap doesn't work."

Which, of course, most hardware manufacturers don't give a rat's tail about,
because if they did, they'd fix their buggy BIOS that create pages on the web
"suspend doesn't work on Zen-Cheap".

(In actual practice, what happened was that somebody got Microsoft to sign
an intermediate UEFI blob that allows bootstrapping a Linux kernel, and distros
have included that blob.  However, just like linux-firmware is packaged separately
from the kernel due to the differing license on most firmware (which isn't GPL),
that blob has to be distributed separate from the kernel as well.