Linux Kernel contains only C code?

Alice Ferrazzi alice.ferrazzi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 02:16:56 EST 2018

Hello Sekar,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 3:58 PM, inventsekar <inventsekar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all, ...
>
> 1. May i know, other than C language, is there any other programming
> language is/are used inside Linux Kernel?!?!
> is there any c++, Perl, python programs are used for peculiar tasks inside
> Linux Kernel?!?!

Yes, there are some scripts made in Perl, Python and other languages.
Most of them are under tools/ or scripts/ or documentation/

> 2. I believe some assembly language and shell scripting also used.. how can
> I check them? Can you point me which part of the source code contains the
> assembly and shell scripting

https://github.com/torvalds/linux/search?l=assembly
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/search?l=Shell

I think you can see in the left down menu bar also other languages.
Still, some language doesn't come out, but you can change assembly with Perl.
You can also just find the file extensions with the find command or
using git ls-files.

find . -type f -name "*.pl"
find . -type f -name "*.py"

or

git ls-files "*.pl"
git ls-files "*.py"

thanks,
Alice

--
Thanks,
Alice Ferrazzi

Gentoo Kernel Project Leader
Gentoo Foundation Board Member
Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alice.ferrazzi at gmail.com>
PGP: 2E4E 0856 461C 0585 1336 F496 5621 A6B2 8638 781A