Efficient management of emails

Steve Witt sawitt at ieee.org
Mon Jan 15 08:55:03 EST 2018

On Mon, Jan 15, 2018 at 06:04:54PM +0530, Shyam Saini wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have subscribed multiple mailing lists.
>
> My question is  how do kernel developers and other users manage their
> emails on daily basis
> considering the fact that we receive hundreds of mails everyday.
>
> One way is to tag each mails with their name for example "NetDev".
>
> I'm curious is their any other way?
>
> I would one really appreciate if someone will share their experience
> and use case.

A very common way of handling the email load is to filter one's email
into different mailboxes/directories by subject and use a threaded
mail user agent to organize the email into threads to help a little in
reading the email.

There are a lot of ways to do this, if you use a Linux computer to
receive your email, a mail processing utility such as 'procmail' can
be configured to automatically filter your incoming email into
separate mailboxes. For example, I have a little over 30 directories
that procmail filters incoming mail into. So I pretty much filter
emails from each mailing list that I'm active on into separate
directories, group some into a spam folder, etc. I access my mail via
IMAP so the emails are filtered into directories but it could be into
mbox files. I personally use mutt as my mail user agent (or email
client) but there are many different options on Linux anyway. I find
organizing the email into threads, within a subject directory, helps
one to read the email is a more organized way and allows one to easily
delete groups of related emails that not of interest.

There is a LOT of info about the specifics of doing this and there are
a lot of different options. If you are unfamiliar with this the
biggest problem might be to decide on an approach to use.