Year 2038 time set problem

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Mon Feb 26 09:16:32 EST 2018

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 02:15:53PM +0100, Piotr Figiel wrote:
> Hi,

> > Also note that the 4.1 kernel is very old and obsolete and insecure, and
> > should NOT be used for any devices in the year 2038.
>
> According to kernel.org website 4.1 has projected EOL in May 2018.

Yes, 3 months from now.

> Is the information about kernel releases on kernel.org irrelevant/
> shouldn't be trusted? Or my understanding of longterm kernel trees is
> incorrect?

No, it is correct, but note that since 4.1.y is about to be end-of-life,
it is receiving very few updates.  No new device should be considering
to use it for their kernel version because it will not be supported very
soon now.

In fact, if you are using 4.1.y, you have already been told to move off
of it as soon as possible for this very reason.

> Which trees do get security updates?

The kernels listed on that page, but be aware that as the end-of-life
time approaches, the releases and updates get very infrequent.  You
should always just update to a newer kernel version, or, if you are
stuck at a specific kernel version due to some hardware or SoC
requirements, get your support from that company as you are already
paying for it.

Hope this helps,

greg k-h