Invalid module format

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Sun Feb 25 00:04:30 EST 2018

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 13:34:41 +1100, "Tobin C. Harding" said:
> On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 10:06:14PM -0500, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> > OK, I'll bite - how can the kernel go into a reboot loop that doesn't get to the
> > grub menu?  (Hint: How does your system get from the BIOS splash screen to
> > starting the kernel? :)
>
> That's not biting.  Having to pointed out when I say something
> ridiculous is one of the reasons I like the kernel mailing lists so
> much.
>
> Re-reading my original comment in your response makes it bleedingly
> obvious that what I said was ridiculous.  I must have been selecting the
> broken kernel in grub for it to boot - I still don't remember doing so
> but it wouldn't be the first time my memory has bent reality.

Actually, there *is* a way you can end up in a reboot loop like that - if
you set the grub menu timeout to zero.  That's actually pretty useful if
you're building an embedded system that can't display the grub menu anyhow,
or you want to save the few seconds of boot time (important if you're
a wireless router or a smart TV or similar).

Of course, anybody who's done that to their system probably knows it,
because if they installed a bum kernel, they've effectively bricked the box
until they re-flash the image.