Interface between LTE devices and Linux

Jeffrey Walton noloader at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 08:21:23 EST 2018

On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 12:10 PM, jjDaNiMoTh <jjdanimoth at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> There is an example of LTE netdevice in the Linux source tree?
>
> In particular, I would like to know if there is any device driver that
> implements the layers required by the 3GPP standard. I imagine that it
> should exist something since Android is communicating over LTE, but I can't
> find any reference. What I fear more is that everything related to LTE is
> inside the closed device firmware, and data is sent from the TC layer into
> this black-box firmware through a sort of API. In this case, it would be
> wonderful to know where, exactly, this API is used, to try to understand
> what the firmware is doing.

In addition to GKH's answer, what I have seen...

Some Android code to talk to the radio is written in plain java, like
https://chromium.googlesource.com/android_tools/+/18728e9dd5dd66d4f5edf1b792e77e2b544a1cb0/sdk/sources/android-19/com/android/internal/telephony/CommandsInterface.java
.

The GNU Radio folks may have relevant information. I seem to recall
they work from userland and not the kernel, though.

Jeff