Query on mechanisms to communicate between kernel modules in Linux

Neil Thomas neilkt27 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 13:08:01 EST 2018

 Hi,

I am just a beginner. I have tried procfs, Netlink socket to communicate
between user space and kernel space and it works fine.

I am developing a monitoring utility to trace the VFS operation and find
the frequency of VFS function calls. This monitoring utility runs in kernel
space. We have to record the occurrence of each  VFS function calls (like
vfs_open(), vfs_read()).  I don't know  which is best mechanism to report
this VFS event to the monitoring utility.

Could anyone please suggest the best mechanism to transfer data frequently
between kernel modules.

Thank you!