clang warning: implicit conversion in intel_ddi.c:1481

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Fri Feb 2 05:06:13 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 02, 2018 at 10:56:36AM +0100, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Feb 2018, Jani Nikula wrote:
>
> > Being brutally honest, please write shorter reports and shorter emails
> > to the lists.
> >
> > The static analysis reports are welcome, but only when 1) we didn't
> > already fix it in linux-next, or 2) it reveals an actual bug, not just a
> > warning, warranting a backport.
>
> That will be our policy.

Great!

Also a few other things to be aware of when working with the Linux
kernel community, and to try to answer some of your longer original
email querstions:

	- don't scatter emails to tons of lists at the same time.  If
	  you use scripts/get_maintainer.pl on a file, it will tell you
	  exactly who and what list to notify of an issue found.

	- when finding an issue, again, always check linux-next as that
	  contains up to the past 3 months of work.  Don't duplicate
	  stuff that others have already done, as that doesn't help
	  anyone out.

	- for stable kernel patches, please read:
		https://www.kernel.org/doc/html/latest/process/stable-kernel-rules.html
	  as to how to report a patch to be included in a stable kernel
	  release (hint, just send the git hash to the list when it is
	  in Linus's tree and ask for it to be included, as well as what
	  trees you think it should be included in.)

	- If clang now builds the kernel "cleanly", yes, I want to take
	  warning fixes in the stable tree.  And even better yet, if you
	  keep working to ensure the tree is "clean", that would be
	  wonderful.

Hope this helps!

greg k-h