[usb-serial] Support for console read from usb serial driver

Ivid Suvarna ivid.suvarna at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 13:22:18 EST 2018

Hi All,

I was going through usb serial driver console related source code
(drivers/usb/serial/console.c) in linux kernel and came across
"usb_console_write" function and was wondering if any usb serial
convertor drivers were using this function? If so any pointers on how
it is being used?

Also can we implement something like "usb_console_read" which can be
useful for interactive debugging like in kgdb. I saw kgdb using
something like "poll_get_char and poll_put_char". I found them in most
of serial drivers like 8250 and so on.

I am using pl2303 usb to serial convertor for getting a serial
console. Is there any way to implement something like usb_console_read
in usb serial drivers? Can you guys give me some pointers on this.

Thanks,
IVID