Linux Kernel contains only C code?

Augusto Mecking Caringi augustocaringi at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 11:49:13 EST 2018

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 5:37 PM, Aruna Hewapathirane
<aruna.hewapathirane at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 1:58 AM, inventsekar <inventsekar at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> Hi all, ...
>
>> 1. May i know, other than C language, is there any other programming
>> language is/are used inside Linux Kernel?!?!
>> is there any c++, Perl, python programs are used for peculiar tasks inside
>> Linux Kernel?!?!
>
> Well, let's find out ? If you open up a shell/terminal and change into the
> top level directory of your Linux kernel source and run the command below:
>
> find . -type f -and -printf "%f\n" | grep -io '\.[^.]*$' | sort | uniq -c |
> sort -rn ( Breaking this down, find all files+get the filename+pull out the
> file extension+sort+only keep unique ext+sort with a stats count)

For that I recommend a tool called sloccount [1]...

BTW, running it now against Linux Kernel source I got:

Totals grouped by language (dominant language first):
ansic:     16675070 (97.83%)
asm:         294179 (1.73%)
perl:         26346 (0.15%)
sh:           18781 (0.11%)
python:       15642 (0.09%)
cpp:           6512 (0.04%)
yacc:          4586 (0.03%)
lex:           2479 (0.01%)
awk:           1387 (0.01%)
pascal:         231 (0.00%)
sed:              5 (0.00%)
Total Physical Source Lines of Code (SLOC)                = 17,045,218

[1] https://www.dwheeler.com/sloccount/

--
Augusto Mecking Caringi