Understanding memory fragmentation in Linux kernel

Amit Agarwal amit at amit-agarwal.co.in
Mon Dec 31 01:02:24 EST 2018

Hi All,

I am trying to understand memory fragmentation and how to understand
and/or analyze the same.

Is there some detailed documentation on pagetypeinfo and buddyinfo files
present in the proc directory? Am I looking at right files to understand
if the memory is fragmented.

Problem Description:

One of the applications does a few 200-300Mb calloc's during start-up.
On one of the production servers, the application does not start up
although there should be enough RAM available for application to start.
I am suspecting that this is because of fragmentation and would like to
confirm the same.

--
Thanks,
-aka