virtual address space allocation

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed Aug 1 16:15:09 EDT 2018

On Tue, 31 Jul 2018 15:41:28 +0200, Babis Chalios said:

> I am working on the runtime system of a distributed memory programming
> language. For some reason we need to create a big hole on the address space of
> the application. We are trying to do so by using an mmap during the
> initialization of the runtime and then the runtime handles itself those
> addresses.

How big a big hole, exactly?  And when you say "For some reason", does that
mean "For reasons I don't understand", or "For reasons I don't want to explain"?
(Note that in American colloquial English, it usually means the first...)

> However, we do have problems if memory overcommitment is disabled.

Well, if your "big hole" plus everything already running is big enough to not
fit in (RAM+SWAP), and you disable overcommit, you're going to have a bad
day....

> So here goes the question: Is there any other mechanism to allow us to
> do what we want to?

It's unclear what you're trying to *do*.  Trying to re-invent MPI?  If your
goal is RDMA, there's already drivers available for Infiniband and other
fabrics.