memory usage between kernel versions

Mike Harless michael.harless at hp.com
Tue Nov 14 13:28:08 EST 2017

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 09:42:33 -0800, Mike Harless said:
>
> > 3.14 kernel:
> > 4c010000-4c0d0000 r-xp 00000000 00:0e 1177 /lib/libc-2.20-2014.11.so
> > Size:                768 kB
> > Rss:                 416 kB
> > Pss:                  12 kB
> >
> > 4.9 kernel:
> > 4c010000-4c0d0000 r-xp 00000000 00:0e 1177 /lib/libc-2.20-2014.11.so
> > Size:                768 kB
> > Rss:                 768 kB
> > Pss:                  12 kB
> >
> > Is this difference in Rss something to keep looking into, or are there
> > other thoughts or suggestions on where to look?  Thanks!
>
> Looks identical to me except for the RSS - which is the amount of resident
> memory consumed. And *that* can be an artifact of when the process was started,
> what order processes were started, how many of its pages had been referenced,
> whether the kernel does read-ahead of .so text segments, and any number of
> other things.  It may be as simple as "you checked the 3.14 system when it had
> been up for several days/weeks/months and all the useless parts of libc had
> been freed (to be re-fetched from disk if referenced), and you checked the
> bright shiny new 4.9 kernel right after boot, before memory pressure had caused
> page frees to happen.

These were both checked right at startup once the product got to
"idle", and have been consistent in a number of tests.  Is there a
configuration for read-ahead of .so text segments in the 4.9 kernel?
That sure seems to be what I'm seeing here in this case with Rss.  That
could explain some of the difference in memory available too.

--Mike