Update a newly-created '.config' file with some predefined values

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue May 30 11:57:33 EDT 2017

On Tue, 30 May 2017 12:28:34 +0300, Roman Storozhenko said:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have a host machine and I have a VM machine running CentOS 7 with 3.x. Ther
e is
> a kernel source tree on the host. I have made 'make menuconfig',
> populated all options that I want to have in my custom kernel and as a
> result got a '.config' file. Then I copied a centos-default distro config fil
e from my VM's
> 'boot' catalog to my host's kernel source tree catalog. So now I have
> two files in my source tree: '.config' and '.config.old'. I am able to
> see difference between them using the following command:
>
>     scripts/diffconfig .config.old .config | less
>
> But is there anyway to update values in '.config' file with the
> apropriate values from '.config.old' file?
> I just want to make sure that all modules will be included in a
> new custom kernel.

If you want *ALL* modules, just copy the centos-default config to .config

If you want everything from your custom config, copy *that* to .config

If you want to mix-and-match, you're probably going to end up running
diffconfig in one window, and 'make menuconfig' in another, and for each
thing that's different, decide if you want it included or not. Oh, and copy
the config that's closest to what you want to .config to minimize the number
of changes you'll need to do.