My kernel patch was rejected with comments

Prasant J pj0585 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 07:39:42 EDT 2017

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Tobin C. Harding <me at tobin.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 12:24:47PM +0530, Prasant J wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I submitted a kernel patch and it was rejected with comments from
>> maintainer. Is it important to reply with a new patch against
>> maintainers response mail? Or it it ok if I send a new email with the
>> updated patch?
>
> You don't send the new patch as a reply. You may, if you wish, reply
> to the maintainer (or reviewer) with some comments that you understand
> and intend on implementing their suggestions (and thanks) or
> disagreeing as it may be.

@Tobin: Thanks a lot for your response. It is very helpful.

How do I reply to the maintainer or how do people reply to
maintainers? gmail web gui may not be a good idea.. right?
or Should I set up evolution or thunderbird for this?
(as mentioned here:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/drm/process/email-clients.html)

> You then re-work your patch and submit it as normal using git
> send-email. But you put v2 in the subject.  You can use
>
> git format-patch -X --subject-prefix='PATCH v2' --numbered --cover-letter
>
> (where X is the number of commits to add to the series, assuming it is
> a series).
>
> In the cover letter add a section stating the changes since v1, for
> example
>
> v1 -> v2
>  - use foo() instead of bar()
>
> If it is a single patch, you may wish to just edit the subject
> manually. Make sure you put the version change information below the
> --- line so it is not included if/when the patch gets merged.

Could you please explain the last para? I did not understand "below
the --- line"

Thanks & regards, Pj