Free Linux/Ubuntu VMs for Kernal Development?

François fser at code-libre.org
Tue Mar 14 06:15:02 EDT 2017

On Tue, Mar 14, 2017 at 12:18:33PM +0800, Freeman Zhang wrote:
> On 3/14/17 12:04 PM, Balaji Barmavat wrote:
> > Anybody's has any VM's links to download, for practice kernel
> programming?
>
> Well, I am using QEMU system emulator, for it's easier to connect to GDB
> debugging and itself handles bootloader thing. You can set all things up
> by one line parameters, really tidy.
>
> The disadvantage is that I've been told system running in QEMU is slow,
> but for kernel programming that wouldn't be the problem, will it?
>
> What about others?

Depending on what you're working on, you can also use User Mode Linux
(UML) [1] which produces a elf, that you can run easily on top of your
existing linux distro.
Basically, you have to choose the "um" arch when compiling your kernel.

[1] http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/old/UserModeLinux-HOWTO.html