Merging device drivers to LK tree

alexhoppus alexhoppus111 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 16:21:24 EDT 2017

Hello!

I have several questions regarding how device drivers are merged into
linux-kernel. First of all, I have found some document regarding
submitting drivers to LK, but it  looks like pretty out-dated,
https://kernelnewbies.org/UpstreamMerge/SubmittingDrivers
is this info still relevant? Or there is a new one?

Actually, I want to know more about the process. To start with this, I
would like to ask an example question. Surfing through the kernel source
I have found several ra-link usb wi-fi adapter drivers (rtl8188eu,
rtl8192e, rtl8712 ...). Suppose one have datasheet that gives the
possibility for writing a device driver for say rtlxxxxx based device.
Can third-party person write & submit this driver to LK or this must be
done explicitly by device vendor? What are the requirements from LK
community side? Are there any license issues with this? (besides the
author should publish code under GPL)