Virtualbox + kgdb: Can't see vmlinux symbols

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jun 16 16:41:00 EDT 2017

On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 13:24:58 -0700, Kamran Khan said:
> This is happening only with kernel 4.8+.
>
> When I compile kernel 4.4 with a stock Ubuntu Xenial .config, symbols
> appear just fine.
>
> When I compile kernel 4.8/4.10 with Yakkety/Zesty stock configs the
> symbols disappear.

What happens when you try to compile 4.8/r.10 with a Xenial .config?

I'm willing to bet the problem is that the Xenial config turns on symbols
and Yakkety/Zesty disable them by default.

See these for further info:

CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_REDUCED=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO_SPLIT=y

It appears that you'll need DEBUG_INFO_REDUCED=n for kgdb to work properly.