VFS: mount_bdev and fill_super

Shrikant Giridhar shrikantgiridhar at gmail.com
Fri Jun 16 02:14:12 EDT 2017

> I just had a quick look at mount_bdev() code for Linux v3.15, mount_bdev()
> can return only root dentry or error.

I'm sorry I should have been clearer. I was referring to the documentation
mount() where it says that the call can return something other than the root
dentry.

More specifically, I don't understand how the what's the purpose of the if
condition checking for s_root in mount_bdev(). Apologies if this is a trivial
question. Tracking the calls all the way down didn't seem to make it clearer
and I couldn't find specific documentation about the interface.

> Also please include the kernel version to which you are referring.

I have the 4.12-rc5 kernel.

---
Shrikant