minimum commit id length when fixing a patch

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Thu Jun 8 08:31:16 EDT 2017

Kevin Wilson <wkevils at gmail.com> writes:

>>Personally I prefer having the full id in the "normal" git log
> May I ask, out of interest,  why ? according to my understanding, the
> 12 digits ID should show a unique patch (at least for kernel git
> trees, which is primarily where I use it)

Because I'm used to having the full id in the log, I guess. And it takes
up a line anyway, so there is nothing to save.  And I rarely/never copy
the id from a full log.  If I want to refer to the id, then I use some
formatting macro for that. Like the --pretty=fixes from the config
example,

But this is all subjective.  Whatever works for you is fine :-)

Bjørn