minimum commit id length when fixing a patch

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Tue Jun 6 16:57:30 EDT 2017

Kevin Wilson <wkevils at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
> I want to send a patch to LKML fixing something wrong which was caused
> by other patch.
>
> Form what I understand, it is a good practice to mention the commit
> title and the commit ID.
>
> A commit ID is very long. My question is: when mentioning in my commit
> log the patch that caused the problem, what is the minimum commit id
> length which I should use when presenting the patch that caused the
> problem ? is such commit length is documented anywhere ?

12

It's mentioned here and there.  One place is the .git/config example in
section "2) Describe your changes" in
Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst :

 The following ``git config`` settings can be used to add a pretty format for
 outputting the above style in the ``git log`` or ``git show`` commands::

         [core]
                 abbrev = 12
         [pretty]
                 fixes = Fixes: %h (\"%s\")

(BTW, using the "Fixes" tag might be appropriate for your patch)

Or see for example:
https://public-inbox.org/git/CA+55aFy0_pwtFOYS1Tmnxipw9ZkRNCQHmoYyegO00pjMiZQfbg@mail.gmail.com/

Bjørn