How to propose a patch to the kernel mainline

Abel akronix5 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 20:32:33 EST 2017

Hi!

First, I apologize as I guess this topic has been treated many times here.

I'm already coding for a patch intended to be merged with the kernel
mainline. It adds a small new feature, so it's not a little bug fix, but
still not so big deal.
I'll get it compiling and working before I submit the patch to the mailing
list, that's clear to me; but I'm sure there will be mistakes, stuff I
didn't think/know about, some styling issues and, maybe, a technical
discussion of how it should be done.

*What I want to ask it's what are the best steps I should walk through in
order to get this patch merged.*
I've already done some modifications of the Linux kernel for university
works, I've also contributed to other open source projects. But I've never
tried to contribute to code to the upstream kernel code before.

*Greetings,*

*                                                        Akronix.*